Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'm a Populist????

I have been accused by a good friend and respected co-worker . . . of being a Populist. All because I called for breaking out the pitchforks and chasing financial scallywags through the streets (what's wrong with that?)

Really? A Populist? I do not think of myself as a Populist. I am just an outraged taxpayer who is feeling let down by our leaders, both in Government and in our Nation's leading corporations.

It is hard not to be cynical about what is going on between Wall Street and Washington. Financial products are created, packaged and sold. At every step along the way, investment bankers, lawyers and accountants make (lots of) money. Whether the financial products they create are sound, or not, the fees get paid. Those same investment bankers, lawyers and accountants use some of their profits to pay lobbyists to make sure Congressmen like Barney Frank do not interfere in the Big Game. This goes on for years and years. Fortunes are made.

Then, when the house of cards finally falls down (as it was going to do at some point), those same Congressmen hold hearings to accuse the lobbyists ("j'accuse!"), and their clients, of financial malfeasance. And, the bailout checks get cut to AIG, Bank of America, Citi, Goldman, etc, etc, etc . . . and the bonus checks get cut to the bankers and traders (who got us here in the first place).

And, at the end of the day . . . as the scallywags head off to the Hamptons for the Summer, us taxpayers are going to be handed the bill for all of this. And, that will most definitely impact our standard of living in this country, as well as, the prospects for economic health on a macro-level. Possibly for a very, very long time. Am I angry about this? Yes, I am. And, I'm not alone . . .

So, if this all makes me a Populist, then I suppose I am guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment